In this guide, I’ll show you how to make a website like a pro. If you are beginner then this guide for you. So, bookmark this page before start.
How to make a website (Highlights)
30min – 50min
Step 1: Choose a Website Building Platform
In this tutorial I’ll show you how to make a website using WordPress. I choose WordPress because WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world. More then 60% website in the world is powered by WordPress.
Also, It is developer and user friendly. Without any cording skill you can make a full website within few times.
This website (WPHostPromo) is also powered by WordPress
Popularity Of CMS
See below image. It is clear that WordPress is the most website building platform in the world.
Why you should use WordPress for your website
There is a lot of reason to choosing WordPress:
- It’s 100% Free: WordPress is 100% free to use. It is known as “open-source software”. So, it is free to use and customize.
- Easy for beginners: You can make a simple website with pre-made WordPress template and using simple copy and paste editing features. No coding necessary.
- Customizable: Whether you are looking to create a business website, a portfolio website to showcase your work, a blog, an online store, or just about any other type of site, WordPress is easy to customize for your needs.
Step 2: Choose a Domain Name
After choosing CMS (WordPress) you need a domain name. A domain name is the address of your site (like www.example.com). A domain name is the address where Internet users can access your website. Generally, Computers use IP addresses (like 111.125.302.60), which are a series of number. However, it is very difficult for humans to remember strings of numbers. Because of this, domain names were developed and used to identify entities on the Internet rather than using IP addresses.
A domain name can be any letters, numbers or some special characters or combination of all. It has various extensions, such as .com, .net and more.
You must be purchased a domain before use it. Every domain name is unique and no two websites can have the same domain name.
A domain name price is around $10 but most of hosting company (Bluehost, Dreamhost, Fastcomet) provide it free with their annual hosting plan. You can also buy it from other domain register company also.
In this tutorial I’m using a domain name that is register on godaddy.
Step 3: Choose a Hosting
In order to store your website images, content and files, you need a web hosting. Without web hosting, your website will not be visible on the Internet.
Max website recommended you Bluehost because they got a lots of refer bonus. They provide good hosting but not best.
If you want a best web hosting for your website then must choose Siteground. Siteground is little costly compared to Bluehost buy they provide must better service.
SiteGround’s performance is impressive, comes with a lot of hosting features and responsive support. However, they are a bit more expensive.
SiteGround Vs Bluehost Uptime
Here it is clear that Siteground offer 100% uptime where Bluehost 98.98%
Pros Of Siteground Hosting
- 100% Uptime
- SSD Only Hosting
- Responsive Support (24/7/365)
- High Performance Server
- Server response time is <400 ms
- 4 Server Location
- High Secure Server
Cons Of SiteGround
- No Free Domain
- Limited Storage but enough for a big website
- Bit more expensive
Use this link to get hosting at $3.95/mo only (75% discount)
Step 4: Install WordPress on Server
Hope you already complete above steps. Now time to install WordPress. It is so easy to install WordPress to Siteground as they offer 1-click app install. See this guide “How to install WordPress in cPanel“
Here are the steps you should follow to install WordPress in Siteground (should be similar/same on all the major web hosting companies who offer cPanel control panel)
- First, Log in to your hosting (SiteGround) account.
- Goto “My Account”
- Click on “Go To cPanel“
- A popup will appear, Just click on Proceed
- Find WordPress Installer under WordPress Tools and click on it
- Click on Install Button
- Fill some additional details & Finally click on Install Again.
- Boom! You have successfully installed WordPress. Now time to design your site.
Step 5: Design Your Site
Once you’ve successfully installed WordPress to your domain, you’ll see a very basic and clean site.
When comes to design you need a theme. You can select from thousand of free theme from WordPress theme directory or from Themeforest for premium theme. There are thousand of awesome, professionally designed themes you can choose from and customize for your own style.
Most of WordPress themes are free to use and highly customizable but free theme not provide any support.
How to Install Theme?
First, Log into your WordPress dashboard. If you’re not sure how to do this then type http://yoursiteurl.com/wp-admin (replace “yoursiteurl” with your domain) in your address bar and enter your username/email & password.
Your WordPress dashboard looks like:
Second, Go to Appearance > Themes > Add New and Here you’ll be able to search for themes via a range of really handy filters like: Most popular (Most downloaded + used themes) Featured (Themes chosen by WordPress and featured) Latest Theme (Latest themes to be released on the platform).
So you have the theme you want for your website and you’re ready to install it. This is really simple. Click on the option “Install” then the next step is to click “Activate”
Feel free to change themes as many times as you wish, as it has no effect on the content you already published (blog posts, pages, images) but it can effect on website design.
Install Plugins and Get More Freedom
A plugin is a piece of WordPress software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites that don’t come as built-in.
You can use plugins to do everything without touching a line of code. Default features offer enough to make a perfectly good website, but plugins are often necessary to take it to the next level professional website.
These are some of the top plugins
- Contact form 7: Contact Form 7 can manage multiple contact forms, plus you can customize the form and the mail contents flexibly with simple markup.
- Yoast SEO for WordPress: Yoast SEO is the most popular WordPress SEO plugin since 2008. It is the favorite tool of millions of users. You’ll be able to edit your title tags, meta descriptions and more, all from within the page/post/Archive itself. It’s free, and it’s awesome.
- AMP: AMP enables web experiences that are consistently fast, beautiful and high-performing across.
- Wordfence Security: Wordfence is a security plugin for WordPress. It create firewall in your website. This plugin protect your site from Malware, DDoS attack. Must install this plugin.
- UpdraftPlus: UpdraftPlus is a website backup plugin. It is the world’s highest ranking and most popular scheduled backup plugin. If anything happen with your website during customization then you can easily restore your old version of website.
- WP Super Cache: WP Super Cache is a cache plugin. This plugin generates static html files from your dynamic WordPress blog. After a html file is generated your webserver will serve that file instead of processing the comparatively heavier.
How to Install Plugin?
Go to plugin (You can find it in WordPress Dashboard sidebar) > Add Now and find above mentioned plugins and install & active them one by one.
Customize Your Website
Now customize your site for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and professional look.
Changing Your Website Title and Tagline
Explain to searchers and search engine what your website name.
Explain to searchers what your website is about.
Go to Settings > General to edit your Site Title & tagline.
Congratulations – your site is now ready to launch! Publish new posts.
As mentioned earlier, WordPress is highly customizable. You can built your site as per your need. Don’t think the work is over. A good website is never finished. You’ll see. The internet is constantly evolving, and your site will too.
I would recommend starting with the first website and then checking out the rest as you need